Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Monday Mayhem Results in a Tuesday Recipe!

Unfortunately, I was unable to get my Monday recipe out yesterday due to........life!  We had an unusually busy day and before I knew it, it was late and the eyelids were drooping! :)
BUT, I do have a fabulous recipe for you now! :)
This is one of those recipes that looks like you put a lot of work into but only takes 6 easy ingredients and I can whip it up in 5 minutes and have it in the oven to bake!  Seriously!  .....and the best part?  I am always asked for the recipe!  Look for more ideas below the recipe for even greater possibilities.....hint: if you don't care for blueberries, we can change it up!

Apple-Blueberry Crunch

1 (21 ounce) can of apple pie filling
1 (14 ounce) package of frozen blueberries
1 cup sugar, divided
1 box of butter cake mix (or white, yellow...)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup chopped walnuts

Spread apple pie filling on bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan.  Toss blueberries and 3/4 cup sugar; spoon over apple pie filling.  Sprinkle cake mix over fruit evenly, and drizzle with melted butter.  Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining 1/4 cup sugar (Warning:  this makes the dessert VERY sweet....I have omitted the sugar in this step and to me, it's much better.....but experiment for yourself!).
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

Some of my suggestions:
*If you have a guest (or even you personally) that does not like blueberries, you can add some more apples or use another fruit of your choice....peaches, strawberries, etc......our family likes blueberries so I have used them but other families leave them out or substitute
*We pick our blueberries in the summer at Johnson's Blueberry Farm and I freeze them.....14 ounces equals a little less than 2 cups.....you can put more or less to your liking.
*Since I have a freezer full of blueberries and I usually have most staples in my pantry. the only things I have to keep in stock are the apple pie filling, cake mix, and some whipped topping.....so to me, this is a very low cost dessert that I can make spur of the moment in a few minutes if company comes unexpectedly.  And it's always nice to have wonderful fragrant home cooked smells when someone walks in your house, isn't it?
Hope you enjoy and come back next Monday for another easy recipe that's easy on the budget.....and during the week for more helpful hints!

2 comments: