Thursday, May 20, 2010

Learning Letters

It seems parents suffer a great deal of  apprehension at the thought of teaching their child to read. I know I did! When I started teaching our firstborn, I brought a full curriculum to help me know exactly what to say and how to say it.  I went over every chart and sound the the book told me to, and made sure we did every exercise it said as well. I guess we all go by the book with our first child, but as perseverance paid off, in a few months my son was on his way to reading quite well.  When our second child was old enough, it was she who wanted to be included in "school time". Like her brother, she seemed to easily pick up on the reading. I'm convinced that allowing  children to be familiarized with books at a very early age helps not only  reading but comprehension as well.

Now, as our third child turns four, I wasn't sure if I would be able to pull it off yet again. Then I realized, all the "pre" reading activities we do as a family contributes to my children seeming to have such an easy time once they begin to be taught the phonics part of reading. Of course, we sing the alphabet song a lot, but there are so many other ways which seem to be as fruitful in making my children aware of their letters. From the time they can sit up, my children have several books they can look through and touch. I'm careful not to put too much expense into these early books so that I don't have to be concerned if the pages are torn or 'drooled on'.  All that is necessary at that young  age is for them to familiarize themselves with the feel of the book and it's pages. It's so amazing how still and quiet a toddler can become when given a basket of books. 


As they grow older, we teach responsibility by making sure they take care of their treasured books. Wonderful series can be found at our local library. In these series, we concentrate on one letter for each book. I think having a story to go with the letter really has made an impression. Especially on my third child who happens to have the gift of natural storytelling. Very early on she not only knew her letters but their sounds as well.


Some fun times in their learning is the game I SPY which works wonderfully on trips. Instead of colors, we look for certain letters.  My little ones feel so proud when they find our secret letter before the older ones!  And then there is one of our all time favorite games for learning letters, 'Let's Fish'. Several years ago I made this game from foam letters and some string on the end of a stick. Placing a small magnet on each letter, then at the end of the string so the children could go fishing for letters. This game has never gotten old as it's survived three children so far!   Sidewalk chalk is another useful tool. The child can either write their own letters or step along a LARGE letter which you have drawn for them.


As the years have gone by and I have become more comfortable in teaching my own children, I have discovered that incorporating letters and sounds into everyday games and talk has been the most successful way to make sure our children quickly catch on when it is time for them to start reading. By that time, it just seems to be second nature. For instance, my third child has just proven that talking about and playing with letters, along with looking at books, can quickly evolve into reading on their own.  Last week, I picked up an easy reader and after playing with the letter sounds a bit,   she read her first sentence triumphantly amidst the celebrated kudos and applause by her older brother and sister, and her daddy.  As I looked into those eyes, so filled with the joy of the moment, I knew once again that I had made the right decision for us in teaching our children to read. There is nothing on earth I would take which would replace that momentous step into each of their lives. 

Reading is the gateway to much success. I encourage you to sit down with your little ones and familiarize them with letters in whatever way you choose. I hope I've given you some ideas to get started, and if you have any questions, you know where to find me. Happy reading!






2 comments:

  1. oh yes-back somewhere when I was pregnant I read that if you want to raise a reader then you need to "clutter their room with books"-from the time he could hold a book,zachary has had books-started with those books perfect for little hands and then into the older books.I used to think that he was "being too quiet" and would walk in and find him sitting in the floor with all the books spilled out of his little crate-with the books scattered all around him and he would be sooo captivated by looking through a certain book.He's 7 now and LOVES to read.It's soooo fulfilling to see that/to help put that love for books into your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooo true!! We have a little closet under the stairs that I transformed into a reading nook with little bookshelves.....many an afternoon I've found one or two of my children curled up in there getting away from everyone while looking through the books! It is sooo wonderful to see that love of books in their eyes!

    ReplyDelete