Monday, March 29, 2010

A different perspective on spring cleaning......and a DELISH Recipe!

Tis the season for spring cleaning!!....I can just hear the groans of some of you thinking about the closets and garages, the winter clothes that need to be exchanged for spring clothes, the deep cleaning jobs that are so overdue, and the yard work that cries out to you every time you step out your front door..
Some may have already done theirs (now, don't admit it, or we might have to hit you! lol!), some are in the thick of it, and some are slowly attempting to start theirs but dragging their heels!
....but I want to give you a new perspective on the whole event!

It starts with the events in our home and why I have some mixed feelings about this year's yearly project.  Usually, I might drag my feet a bit on getting started but in actuality, I love getting everything organized and in its place and getting rid of so much clutter that seems to find its way in during those winter days!  These days, however, it's a bit different. If you've been reading my blog, you know I am recuperating from a back injury that has had me home bound for about two months now.  I have been able to get out to see doctors and I  have actually walked into a store in the last week but other than that, I have been at home lying down or sitting for the most part.  For this busy mom of four, it has been one of the most trying events I've ever gone through!  I did not realize how much I did around our home and how much we're constantly on the run! 

Up until this last week, I have had to overlook much of the clutter in our house that comes from having two preschoolers who love to play with EVERYTHING in their room and scatter it throughout the house and two grade school children who not only have their school papers and projects but also their own items of interest around the house.  We, of course, have had a daily clean-up time and things were kept as tidy as could be expected when mom isn't at her full capacity of inspections.  But I realized very quickly after the first few weeks of being in pain that the clean and organized home I loved to strive for was a thing of  the past, and I would have to learn to accept some clutter and disorganization for a time.  Before I was in pain, it was a simple thing for me to sweep through the house for ten to fifteen minutes a couple times a day and restore some sense of order.  I learned how precious that ability was when I couldn't even walk down our steps some days!  We have even had to have a sitter come stay with my children and I when my husband was out of town just to help me do basic things such as changing diapers or fixing lunch.  After many tests (which in itself is a scary process when you are wondering what is wrong with you!), the doctors finally came to the conclusion that some muscles were pulled that was causing the intense pain and put me on a program to help me regain my life again.  I still have to rest a lot, but I am becoming able to do more every day......like walking down the driveway with my children.......and sitting at the table with my family to eat dinner (a nightly tradition at our house but one I had to forego when the pain became so bad by the end of the day)......and sweeping up messes (like my two year old deciding to empty our big can of coffee creamer in our school room!)......and spring cleaning!!  Even with the frustration of having to rest so often and moving at a snails pace in getting things accomplished (I'm known for staying up til three in the morning to get one of my "projects" done!), I am elated to be able to move about and get things back in order after two months of disarray!

So, when you want to complain about the huge task of jumping into the spring cleaning time, take a moment to ponder the joy you have of actually being ABLE to do it......and in that moment, take a few seconds to thank the Lord for that ability.....it is such a wondrous thing!

And speaking of wonderful things, I HAVE to share one of the best recipes our family just found!!  It is for the bread machine , so if you don't have one, you will have to mix the ingredients and do the kneading and rising part before it's ready to roll.  We absolutely LOVE our bread machine!! We have homemade pizza every Saturday night though and I don't have to do anything but throw the ingredients in there and then roll out the dough.....LOVE it!  I also make whole wheat french bread for dinners and french toast as well.
ANYWAY, back to the recipe!
It's homemade cinnamon rolls!!  SO easy .....put all the ingredients in the machine, roll it out (my eight year old loves to do this!), put the scrumptious topping on, and roll it up and cut....makes two cake pans so you can freeze one for later although we never do!   My favorite part is that the kids and I can make it the night before and then just pop it out of the refrigerator and into the oven in the morning....Delish!    Kudos to one of my favorite sites, moneysavingmom.com, for this awesome recipe!

Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls

Dough:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten plus 2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups flour (Add a bit more if dough seems too wet after first few minutes of kneading in the bread machine.)
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Filling (I doubled this since we like our filling, oh yes we do!):
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Icing:
1 teaspoon milk
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
4 tablespoons (or less) butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the dough ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed and run on the dough cycle. After the dough cycle is finished, roll the dough into a large rectangle and spread it with 2 Tablespoons melted butter and 2/3 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 Tablespoon cinnamon.

Roll up and cut into 10-15 rolls and place in two greased round cake pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned. Spread the icing on as soon as they come out of the oven.

You can also cover the unbaked rolls with plastic wrap, stick them in the refrigerator overnight, and then bake in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment